Fatless sponge cake
Member recipe by robochoc
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Cake
This Czech recipe, Bilkovy Suchar is one we use for all the Christmas excess egg-whites left over from making our cukrovi or Christmas biscuits. You can eat plain, or add chocolate chips, sultanas or dates. Lemon icing is also an option.
- CAKE RECIPE
- 5 large egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 120g unsalted butter
- 120g plain flour
- 100g of chopped dates, chocolate drops, sultanas
- Lemon glace icing
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add the caster sugar.
- Melt the butter and pour into the egg / sugar mixture.
- Carefully fold in the flour, avoiding breaking up too much of the egg foam. Add any optional extras (dates, chocolate drops or sultanas).
- Cook at 160C / fan 140 / gas 3 for around 40 min or until golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, and either serve as is, or decorate with lemon glace icing.