Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 14-18
These brownies are almost fat free, low sugar and provide around 100 calories each... They have a much lighter taste than regular brownies and admittedly lack some richness but they are still delicious, especially with a tiny bit of chocolate spread to finish them off!
- 100g carob powder (might seem a lot but it works)
- 300g wholemeal plain flour (I used gluten-free)
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g chopped walnuts (optional)
- 200ml cold water
- 2 eggs
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190degrees (fan) Mix together the carob powder, flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the water, milk, eggs, oil and mashed bananas. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients with the vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- STEP 2Now add the chopped walnuts if using them. You could also add dark chocolate chips if you wish. At this point, if the mixture is too thick, add a little extra milk until it is looks thick but stir-able.
- STEP 3Transfer the mix to a greased, non-stick brownies tray (could use baking parchment but I didn't seem to need it).
- STEP 4Cook in the preheated oven for around 20-30 minutes - the brownies will feel firm to the touch, not wobbly like normal brownies.