Creamy Coconut Dal
Member recipe by robertmartinot
A light, well spiced dish with an oriental mix of flavours. This meal is rich is proteins and therefore a perfect alternative for meat in a balanced diet.
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 fresh green pepper
- 2.5cm fresh root ginger , grated
- 7 cardamom pods
- 400g pre-cooked (canned) red or brown lentils , rinsed and drained
- 400ml creamed coconut milk
- *Save some of the liquid drained from the lentils!
- In a large saucepan, on a medium flame, add the olive oil and heat it up for a minute.
- Throw in the mustard and cumin seeds, let them pop but be careful not to burn them.
- Add the onions. Saute them for 3.min.
- Turn the flame down and add the garlic, ginger, chili and cardamon pods. Add in the liquid of the lentils and let it simmer till it thickens a little.
- Add the coconut cream and stir it in nicely. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Then add in the lentils, some salt and pepper and you let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!