Member recipe by baina009
A great pudding to enjoy with the family. Sure to become a family classic !
- For the custard:
- 1 and a half tbsps of custard powder ( I use birds custard powder)
- 125ml of milk
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 9og of sour cream
- For the sponge:
- 180g of unsalted butter
- 125g of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 155g of self-raising flour ( sifted )
- 30g of custard powder
- Tub of 248ml of cream ( any will do but double works best )
- Make the custard .Combine the custard powder and a little of the milk and mix untill smooth. Add the remaining milk and mix together. Pour the mixture into a pan, adding the sugar and sour cream as well, and stir over a medium heat until thickened. Remove from the heat and cover with cling film or a lid to prevent a skin forming.
- Preheat the oven to a moderate 180 degrees (160 degrees if a fan assisted oven ).Gas mark 4.
- Making the sponge. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating and mixing well after each addition. Gently fold in the flour and custard powder alternatley with the cream.
- Assembling the dish. Pour half of the mixture into a 2 litre ovenproof dish, and top with the custard. Pour over the remaining sponge mixture and smooth out .
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until firm to touch. Serve with stewed apples or custard, if liked.