Diabetic Fruit Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 3 to 6 hours soaking time, plus 1 hour cooling time
- Makes Pieces
This is a very good cake, without sugar and eggs, suitable for diabetics or those watching their weight.
- Diabetic Fruit Cake.
- 450grms. mixed vine fruits
- 2tbsps. dry cognac or whiskey
- 225grms. chopped dates
- 50grms. chopped walnuts or roasted chopped almonds
- 2tsps. mixed spice
- 3tsps.baking powder
- 225grms. wholemeal flour
- 275mls. water
- 1 orange rind
- 1 lemon rind
- About 4 tbsps. warm water
- STEP 1Mix the mixed vine fruits in the cognac or whiskey.
- STEP 2Melt the chopped dates in the 4 tbsps. water very slowly mixing all the time, over low heat. Mix with the vine fruits. Let the mixture stand in a cool place for 3 to 6 hours.
- STEP 3Sift the flour, baking powder and the mixed spice, add the rinds and the chopped nuts.
- STEP 4Mix the flour mixture with the fruit mixture well and put the cake mixture in a greased loaf tin measuring approximately 12cms. x 22cms.
- STEP 5Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 4 or 195 degrees celius for about 50 mins. Check with a skewer. If it comes out clean, then the cake will be ready.
- STEP 6Let cool for about 1 hour.