- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 12
A wonderful accompaniment to a cup of tea/coffee, this coconut bread is a Caribbean recipe discovered in Barbados. The Raisin mix can be altered to include glace cherries
- 1.5 lbs flour (preferably a mix of wholewheat and white flour)
- 4 tsps. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp. ground clove
- 0.25 lb. butter
- 0.75 lb. sugar (I used a mixture of brown sugars)
- 2 eggs
- 1.25 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup raisin (optional inclusion of glace cherries)
- 1 large grated coconut
- optional - tbs. rum
- optional - replace some of milk with coconut / almond milk / coconut water
- STEP 1Line a loaf pan with greaseproof paper and grease, set aside. Preheat oven to 350F.
- STEP 2Sift flour, baking powder and spices, set aside.
- STEP 3Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. If you fear of splitting, a tb. of the flour mix can be added with each egg.
- STEP 4Add vanilla (and rum if using) to milk and add alternatively with flour mixture to creamed mix.
- STEP 5Fold in raisins and coconut. Sprinkle top with more coconut and sugar.
- STEP 6Bake for at 1 hr before testing doneness.