Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Eggnog is essential to Christmas celebrations in the USA. It's like a frothy cream liqueur. Eggnog can be made in advance (and stored in the fridge), but it should be served within 24 hours as it contains raw egg. This recipe contains raw egg, so it is not suitable for for pregnant women, the elderly and those with weak immune systems.
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 25g caster sugar, plus extra to taste
- 100ml rum or bourbon
- 200ml whole milk
- 150ml whipping cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to serve
- STEP 1Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar for a few minutes with an electric whisk until pale, light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the rum or bourbon a little at a time, then whisk in the milk. The mixture will separate over time, so it may need to be whisked again
- STEP 2In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold the boozy egg mixture into the whites very gradually. Finally, whip the cream until it just holds its shape and fold that into the mixture as well.
- STEP 3Sweeten to taste with extra sugar if you wish. Ladle into punch glasses and serve with a dusting of nutmeg.