Traditional Roast Potatoes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
Perfect roast potatoes to compliment a sunday roast.
- Maris piper potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Duck fat
- Sea salt & white pepper
- Rosemary sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, bashed but unpeeled
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Fragment of star anise (about a quarter)
- STEP 1Boil the potatoes in salted water until nearly falling apart. Drain and allow to steam-dry for a couple of minutes while you pre-heat the duck fat in a 200C oven.
- STEP 2Shake the potatoes as much as you dare to chuff up the sides, then tip into the smoking fat.
- STEP 3After 25 minutes, gently squash the potatoes with a masher to open up the sides a little. Chuck in the rosemary, garlic, vinegar and star anise and a generous helping of salt and white pepper.
- STEP 4Continue roasting until browned to your liking (about another 25 minutes).