Sage, honey and roasted red pepper cornbread
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
This vegetarian cornbread with sage, honey and roasted red pepper is super moist and easy to make.
- salted butter 150g, melted
- runny honey 50g
- eggs 2 medium
- buttermilk 250ml
- fine polenta or cornmeal 150g
- plain flour 150g
- bicarbonate of soda 1 tsp
- baking powder 1 tsp
- fresh sage 1 tbsp
- parmesan or vegetarian alternative 50g, finely grated
- whole roasted red peppers 2 from a jar, diced
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Butter a 22cm skillet, ovenproof frying pan, or 20cm square cake tin.
- STEP 2Whisk the melted butter, honey, eggs and buttermilk.
- STEP 3In a large bowl, mix the polenta or cornmeal, flour, bicarb, baking powder, chopped sage and parmesan with ½ tsp of salt.
- STEP 4Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and briefly mix.
- STEP 5Add the diced peppers and mix again until just combined – be careful not to overmix.
- STEP 6If using a skillet or pan to bake, warm it on the hob until hot.
- STEP 7Pour the batter into the pan or tin then carefully lift into the oven.
- STEP 8Bake in a hot pan for 20 minutes or cold cake tins for 30-35 minutes, then use a skewer poked into the centre to check it’s cooked through.