Cheese and vegetable muffins
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12 muffins
Savoury muffins, good for using up leftover cheese and veg.
- 250g SR Flour
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 salt
- 1 large egg
- 250ml milk
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 200g leftover roast vegetables, eg. carrots and parsnips roughly mashed
- 75g medium hard cheese eg. Cheddar grated
- 50g blue or soft cheese crumbled
- 1 tsp dried sage
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200° C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. In a large bowl, combine the flour, mustard powder, salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- STEP 2In a jug, mix the eggs, milk and melted butter. Stir the mashed veg, both cheeses and the sage into the flour mixture, then make a well in the centre and pour in the milk mixture. Use a wooden spoon to gently mix, until almost all combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- STEP 3Spoon the muffin mixture into the paper cases, bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until risen, golden and springy to touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool a little and serve warm or at room temperature with extra butter, if liked.