Vegan Malt Loaf
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 12
Slightly lighter on the sugar and suitable for vegans, this sticky treat is sure to beat the shop-bought version every time!
- 150 ml hot black tea, brewed for 5 mins
- 170 g malt extract
- 40 g dark muscovado sugar
- 300 g dried mixed fruit (with or without citrus bits)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- STEP 1Heat oven to 150C and prepare a 2 lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- STEP 2In a mixing bowl combine the tea, malt extract, sugar and dried fruit.
- STEP 3In a small cup, combine the chia seeds with 2.5 tbsp water. Leave to thicken for 5 minutes before adding to the fruit mix. Tip in the flour and combine thoroughly.
- STEP 4Quickly add the baking powder and bicarb and mix quickly before pouring into the tins. Bake for 40 minutes uncovered before baking for a further 10 minutes covered with tinfoil to prevent the top from burning. The loaf should be springy and firm when finished.
- STEP 5Remove from the tins, wrap the loaf and enjoy within 5 days. Serve plain or warm under the grill before spreading with non-dairy butter or mashed banana.