Classic white bread loaf
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes One large loaf of bread
A simple recipe for your first time baking bread.
- 750g strong white flour
- 60g soft butter
- 3 x 6g dried yeast
- 3tsp salt
- 25g caster sugar
- 450ml water (at approximately 37c)
- STEP 1Add the flour, butter, yeast and salt to a large mixing bowl. Keep the salt separate from the yeast.
- STEP 2Make a well in the centre and add half (225ml) of the water. Use either your fingers to mix in the flour or use a mixer to do it for you.
- STEP 3Keep mixing and adding water until the dough comes together and leaves the sides of the bowl clean.
- STEP 4Knead the dough for ten minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- STEP 5Place the dough into an oiled bowl to stop it from sticking. Clingfilm the top and allow to prove at room temperature (20c is ideal).
- STEP 6After about an hour, the dough will have doubled in size and will be stretchy and elastic when pulled. Preheat the oven at 190c.
- STEP 7Take the dough out and knead again for 3 to 4 minutes. This is referred to as 'knocking back'. Add your flavouring at this stage if you wish or simply sprinkle flour over the top after the second prove.
- STEP 8Allow the bread to prove again for about 20 minutes before cooking until the top is golden and the bread sounds hollow when you tape the base.
- STEP 9Leave the bread to stand for five minutes before serving.