low fat carrot squares
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 1 hour soaking time if using the raisins. 1 hour cooling time
- Makes Squares
A light and healthy variation of the popular carrot cake
- 3 Tetley tea bags
- 150ml boiled water
- 340g Carrots, grated (or 300ml carrot juice)
- 50ml Orange juice not from concentrated
- 60g Raisins (optional)
- 200g Supreme sponge flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 50g dairy free butter, softened
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large free range egg, beaten
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 180C and line a square tray with baking paper
- STEP 2In a small bowl, add the tea bags and boiled water. Allow to brew for 10 minutes. If using the raisins add them here and allow to soak for 1 hour. Set aside until needed
- STEP 3In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients EXCEPT the sugar. (flour, baking powder, mixed spice, cinnamon and salt)
- STEP 4In a separate bowl creme together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the grated carrot and combine. Next gradually mix in the beaten egg, using a little flour to stop curdling.
- STEP 5Drain the tea and raisin mix, keeping the tea juice and add the raisins to the egg mixture. Slowly add small amounts of the tea I Used around 4 tbsp. The mix should not be too runny at this stage and still hold its shape.
- STEP 6Next add the orange juice and combine until all ingredients are incorporated.
- STEP 7Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and combine. Do not over mix the mixture as you want to keep the air there and not beat it out.
- STEP 8Pour the cake mix into the prepared tray, and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and spongy to the touch. Check the middle is done using a skewer and if it come out clean then it is ready to be removed from the oven.
- STEP 9Allow the cake to cool in the tray for 20 minutes. Then remove from the tray and place on a cool wire rack to completely cool for 1 hour.
- STEP 10Decorate with a dusting of icing sugar (optional) and divide into 16 squares. They will keep for up to a week in an air tight container. Enjoy with tea or coffee either for breakfast or for a light snack :)