Ultimate hot dog
Member recipe by orchidcharity
Orchid, the male cancer charity, are calling on people across the UK to fire up their BBQ's to raise awareness of male cancer. In conjunction with some great celebrity chefs including the Fabulous Baker Brothers, Gordon Ramsay and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, we've come up with the ultimate BBQ recipes for the summer. www.the-big-bbq.co.uk #BIGBBQ
- 500g strong white flour
- 200ml mild (tepid)
- 100ml water (tepid)
- 25g castor sugar
- 25g lard
- 25g sourdough (omit if necessary)
- 10g salt
- 5g dried yeast (or 10g fresh yeast)
- 1 egg for bun-wash
- Weigh all the ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Knead for 10 minutes until your dough is soft and elastic. Leave to rise in a covered bowl for an hour in a warm place.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and roll out 12cm fingers (or to the length of your sausages) on a floured surface.
- Place on a baking tray covered with baking paper. Brush beaten egg over each finger. Leave them covered in a warm place for an hour to rise.
- Brush with a second coat of beaten egg. Meanwhile, pre-heat your oven to 230C. Bake your jumbo fingers until they are perfectly golden (about 10-15 mins).
- Fire up the BBQ (charcoal if you want that real taste).
- Place a large pan of water on to the heat and bring it to just below a simmer.
- Individually place the sausages into the water and gently poach for 10 mins. This is just to cook the sausages through whilst retaining all its moisture. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry off with some paper towel.
- Put your chosen sausages on to the BBQ whilst still quite hot. Now all that needs to be done is crisp up the skin to get that real BBQ taste. As the sausage is already cooked through, this will only take a few mins and what you will have is a delicious juicy sausage ready for the bun.
- All it needs is some home made pickles, a few fried onions and your fresh hot dog roll to make it truly tasty! Enjoy, The Fabulous Baker Brothers