Potato, Halloumi & Tom Kebab
Member recipe by orchidcharity
Orchid, the male cancer charity, are calling on people across the UK to fire up their BBQ's to raise awareness of male cancer. In conjunction with some great celebrity chefs including the Fabulous Baker Brothers, Gordon Ramsay and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, we've come up with the ultimate BBQ recipes for the summer. www.the-big-bbq.co.uk #BIGBBQ
- 250g small, waxy new potatoes, such as Ratte, Anya, Charlotte or Pink Fir Apple
- 450g halloumi cheese
- 200g large cherry tomatoes
- A handful of bay leaves
- For the marinade:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- A handful of thyme sprigs, leaves only, finely chopped
- A handful of mint, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon clear honey
- Half a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
- Light the barbecue - to allow time for the flames to die down and the coals to develop an even cooking heat., If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water at least 30 minutes ahead of cooking.
- Put the new potatoes in a pan, cover with water, add salt and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, until almost tender - just a shade underdone. Drain and leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the marinade. Cut the halloumi into 2cm cubes and add to the marinade with the potatoes and tomatoes. Turn to coat well and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Thread the potatoes, tomatoes and halloumi on to the skewers, interspersing a few bay leaves with the vegetables on each one. You'll need a medium heat - you should be able to hold the palm of your hand about 15cm above the coals for 5-6 seconds. Put the skewers on the barbecue and cook for about 10 minutes, turning from time to time, until the cheese and veg are hot and starting to blister on the outside.