Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Low Carb Crab & Prawn Vermicelli Noodle Salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 2
A beautifully fresh Thai inspired seafood and noodle salad.
- 6 fresh tiger prawns, de-veined and sliced lengthways in half
- 50g fresh brown crab meat (white meat or a mixture is also delicious)
- 100g Thai Taste vermicelli noodles, blanched in boiling water for 10 minutes and then refreshed under cold water
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon coriander root (leave out if you can’t find)
- 1 tablespoon Thai Taste galangal
- 1 tablespoon Thai Taste turmeric paste
- 200ml Thai Taste coconut milk
- 10g coriander, picked and washed
- 1 tsp Thai Taste Red Chilli paste
- 10g chives, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 10g mint, leaves torn slightly
- 20g peeled Thai shallots, sliced (any sweet shallot will be nice)
- 2 spring onion, cleaned and finely shredded
- 1 lime, chopped into cheeks
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Thai Taste fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Thai Taste palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- STEP 1Mix the garlic, galangal, turmeric and red chilli paste together
- STEP 2In a large pan or wok heat the vegetable oil on a medium to high heat and then fry this paste out, moving constantly to avoid it sticking to the pan. When the paste begins to turn golden brown in colour add the prawns and brown crab meat and continue to fry for a further 2-3 minutes until they are completely pink and hot throughout.
- STEP 3At this stage add the fish sauce and the palm sugar and fry for a further 30 seconds to caramelise the sugar, you will notice that the paste begins to darken at this stage. Next add the coconut milk, blanched noodles, shallots, mint, coriander and chives and delicately toss everything together in the pan allowing the noodles, salad and prawns to all mix and be coated by the coconut sauce.
- STEP 4Serve the noodles straight away in bowls with spoons and chop sticks and a cheek of lime, it’s also great with a good helping of Thai Taste sweet chilli sauce. This recipe makes enough for a hearty lunch, however this is an awesome dish to serve at dinner too, double the recipe if you want a bigger feed.