Thai coconut chicken soup (Tom Kha Gai)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
This is a common creamy coconut soup in Thailand.
- 1 chicken breast, cubed
- 100ml chicken stock or water
- 1 inch galangal, sliced
- 2 sticks lemongrass, bruised and cut into large pieces
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, halved with stalks discarded
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch sugar
- 150ml coconut milk
- 200g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 red chillis, brushed and cut in halves
- 1 small bunch coriander, stalks and leaves separated
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- STEP 1Bring chicken stock or water to the boil, add galangal, lemon grass, kafir lime leaves, coriander stalks and boil for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- STEP 2Add chicken breast to the soup, boil for another 5 minutes until cooked.
- STEP 3Add a pinch of sugar, coconut milk, chillis, cherry tomatoes and mushroom. Bring the soup to the boil again.
- STEP 4Take off the heat. Season with lime juice and fish sauce. Add coriander leaves and spring onions.