Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Nikujyaga (arrangement for vegetarians)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
The recipe of my own arrangement of Nikujyaga for vegetarians. “Nikujyaga” is typical Japanese home cooked dish and it is one of the most popular stewed dishes in Japan. Taste of this dish makes Japanese feel nostalgic. It is also often chosen as the first time cooking.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 onions
- 2 Abura-age(10cm×18cm)
- 200ml water
- 4/3 tablespoons of rice oil
- 2 tablespoons of shirodashi
- 3/2 tablespoons of sake
- 3/2 tablespoons of sugar
- 3/2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- STEP 1Cut the carrot and potato diagonally, rolling. Cut the onion into wedges. Cut Abura-age (deep-fried bean curd) into 3cm.
- STEP 2Heat the oil(1tbsp) in a frying pan on a medium heat. Fry the carrot and onion in a frying pan on medium heat for 3minutes or until the onion turns transparent.
- STEP 3Add the potato and oil(1/3tbsp), and fry for 3 minutes. Pour water into the frying pan, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- STEP 4Add the Abura-age (deep-fried bean curd), then add shirodashi, sake and sugar, cover and cook for 5 minutes. After adding the soy sauce, cover and cook for 2 minutes, then take off the heat.