- Preparation and cooking time
- 1 hour
- Serves 12
Simple French Bread
- 235ml Water
- 340g Bread Flour
- 10g Sugar
- 6g Salt
- 7g Dried Yeast
- 1 Egg Yolk
- STEP 1Add the flour, sugar, salt, yeast and water into a mixer with dough hooks and mix for around 6 - 7 minutes. If not using a machine you will need to bring ingredients together slowly adding the water.
- STEP 2Place in a greased bowl and cover putting in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- STEP 3On a lightly floured surface knock dough out and then roll into about 16 x 12 inch rectangle and cut in half into two 8 x 12 inch rectangles. Roll tightly starting from 12 inch end knocking air out.
- STEP 4Place on greased cooking paper 3 inches apart. Create some diagonal slashes across the 2 loaves. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- STEP 5Preheat oven to 190c. Mix yolk of egg with teaspoon of water and brush on loaves. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.