Member recipe by mustardcomms
Shepherd's Pie with Peas and Mustard Mash - this is a great recipe to banish those January blues. Tuck into a dish that's warm, filling and delicious.
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml lamb stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 150g frozen peas
- 800g GreenVale Farm Fresh potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- knob of butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10-15mins or until they are tender. Drain, return to the pan and mash until smooth. Add the butter, milk and mustard and mash again until really fluffy. Set aside.
- Whilst the potatoes cook, heat a non-stick frying pan add the mince and saute it over a medium heat, breaking it up with a spoon, until it is nearly all brown - there is no need to add any oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery and saute for a further 3 mins until soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute. Then add the stock, puree and Worcestershire sauce along with seasoning. Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 mins until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Stir the peas into the mince, then spoon the mince into a 1.2ltr ovenproof dish. Spoon the potatoes evenly over the surface then fluff it up with a fork to make a wavy pattern. Bake for 25 mins or until the top is golden brown. Serve with green vegetables.