Apple Tray Bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12 slices
Apple tray bake made with delicious apples and cinnamon, this is easy a family favourite and easy to make, you can whip this up in a jiffy.
- Apples cooking/eating 450 grams
- Self raising flower 350 grams
- Caster Sugar 200 grams
- Butter/margarine softened 220 grams
- Eggs medium 4
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon 2 teaspoons
- Demerara Sugar to sprinkle
- Juice of small lemon
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C or Gas mark 6, grease and line a 34 x 24 x 2.5cm baking tray with butter and grease proof paper or parchment.
- STEP 2Peel and core the apples, chopping them in to small cubes about 1cm squares, this does not have to be exact just a rough chop. Place in a bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over the apples, taking care not to let the pips drop in to the bowl.
- STEP 3In a large bowl place the butter, caster sugar, eggs, cinnamon, flour and baking powder and mix well until smooth. I use a electric hand whisk for this, once all mixed together and when you stop you see bubbles, it will rise. Now stir in the chopped apples you put to the side. If at this point you think the mixture is to thick add a small amount of milk. But this mixture does have to be thick to support the apples.
- STEP 4Pour the mixture into the lined baking tray, you may need to use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture around the tray. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar, place in the middle of the oven and bake for 1 hour. Check after about 50 minutes with a skewer or knife if no mixture on the skewer or knife its cooked, if there is mixture on then it is not cooked.