Bread and butter pudding
Member recipe by mramondt
- 6 - 7 thin slices of white bread, crusts removed
- 50g butter
- 100g sultanas
- 250 ml double cream
- 250 ml full-cream milk
- 3 medium eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 25 g icing sugar
- 25 g apricot jam, warmed and sieved
- clotted cream to serve
- Preheat oven to fan 170C. Generously spread the slices of bread with the butter and cut each into 4 triangles. Arrange a layer of the bread over the base of a buttered 1 1/2 l pint shallow ovenproof dish, about 6cm deep. Sprinkle over the sultanas, then arrange the remaining bread triangles on top.
- Mix the cream, milk, eggs and suger together and pass through a sieve. Slit open the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds and whisk them into the custard. Pour the custard over the bread and leave to soak for 5 min.
- Put the dish into a roasting tin and pour enough hot water into the tin to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for about 30 min., until the top is golden and the custard is lightly set but still soft in the centre. Remove the dish from the roasting tin and leave to cool for about 15 min. Meanwhile preheat the grill to its highest setting.
- Dust the top of the pudding heavily with icing sugar and glaze under the grill until golden. If it starts to puff up, remove and let it cool a little longer before returning to the heat. Brush the top with the sieved apricot jam and serve with clotted cream.