Zohrah's Classic Spaghetti Carbonara
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
This is a super easy and very cheesy and super delicious meal.Your kids will love it.This is a very tasty meal.
- 3 large free-range egg yolks
- 40g Parmesan cheese , plus extra to serve
- 1 x 150 g piece of higher-welfare pancetta
- 200 g dried spaghetti
- 1 clove of garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- STEP 1Put the egg yolks into a bowl, finely grate in the Parmesan, season with pepper, then mix well with a fork and put to one side.
- STEP 2Cut any hard skin off the pancetta and set aside, then chop the meat.
- STEP 3Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente.
- STEP 4Meanwhile, rub the pancetta skin, if you have any, all over the base of a medium frying pan (this will add fantastic flavour, or use 1 tablespoon of oil instead), then place over a medium-high heat.
- STEP 5Peel the garlic, then crush with the palm of your hand, add it to the pan and leave it to flavour the fat for 1 minute. Stir in the pancetta, then cook for 4 minutes, or until it starts to crisp up.
- STEP 6Pick out and discard the garlic from the pan, then, reserving some of the cooking water, drain and add the spaghetti. Toss well over the heat so it really soaks up all that lovely flavour, then remove the pan from the heat.
- STEP 7Add a splash of the cooking water and toss well, season with pepper, then pour in the egg mixture – the pan will help to cook the egg gently, rather than scrambling it. Toss well, adding more cooking water until it’s lovely and glossy.
- STEP 8Serve with a grating of Parmesan and an extra twist of pepper.