Spicy leek and potato soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Delicious and easy comfort food. Popular with everybody. Very good when made in advance and reheated.
- 2 Leeks, washed and chopped
- 1kg Potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 green chili, finely chopped
- 3tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2tbsp Vegetable / Olive oil
- 1 litre Vegetable Broth
- Splash of soya milk / milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garlic Bread
- 1 long baguette, brown or white, cut in 1/2 inch slices very nearly cutting through to the bottom but not quite.
- 100g butter/margarine
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or extremely finely chopped
- STEP 1Start off by boiling potatoes until you can easily break one in half with a fork. Drain.
- STEP 2In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium-high heat, and when hot add onions and saute for 3-4 mins, then add garlic and chili and saute for a further minute.
- STEP 3Next add the leeks and cook for 5-6 minutes. When leeks start to go tender add the potatoes and stock.
- STEP 4Bring it to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for fifteen minutes.
- STEP 5Preheat the oven to 200C. Taste the soup and add soya sauce, milk and salt and pepper if desired.
- STEP 6Thoroughly mix together the butter and garlic and spread it on each slice of the baguette. Cook for 15-20 minutes. When all brought together making a lovely meal!