Smoked Fish Salad (Tsirosalata)
- Preparation and cooking time
- 10 mins marinating
- Serves 8
You can substitute tuna, sardines or anchovies.
- 1 largesmoked mackerel (about 350 g)
- 2 tbsps mature red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- 2 tbsps Snipped fresh dill or chervil or 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsleyNicoise olives, drained
- STEP 1Hold mackerel by its tail above an open flame until skin blisters and breaks.
- STEP 2Peel off skin and discard head and tail.
- STEP 3With a thin bladed knife make a slit along underside of fish. Open like a book and with your palm press firmly to flatten it.
- STEP 4Discard backbone and skeleton.
- STEP 5Place fillets in a bowl. Add 1 1/2 tbsps of vinegar. Cover with cold water. Set aside for 10 mins.
- STEP 6Remove fillets, discarding the liquid. Thoroughly dry with paper towels then cut into thin strips or bite-sized pieces
- STEP 7Plate up with rest of ingredients.