Basic Sugar Cookies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 25-30 cookies
This is the perfect basic sugar cookie recipe for decorating; soft, buttery, and sweet.
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 330g plain flour
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 180° C. Grease and line two cookie sheets.
- STEP 2In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract and egg.
- STEP 3In a separate bowl combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will be very stiff.
- STEP 4DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut into whatever shapes you desire.
- STEP 5Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.