Spicy butternut squash soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8
A spicy and warming soup, great for when its cold outside!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sprig of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 medium chilli
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- pinch cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- pinch smoked paprika
- 2 pints veg/chicken stock
- STEP 1Heat oil in a large saucepan and add garlic, chilli, paprika, bay, rosemary and cumin seeds and heat for 30seconds (do not colour, you only want to release the flavours).
- STEP 2Add all the remaining ingredients apart from the stock.
- STEP 3Saute the vegetables for 2 minutes until they are fully coated in the spices.
- STEP 4Add the stock, turn down the heat and allow the soup to simmer for about 45 mins.
- STEP 5Allow the soup to cool and then blend with a hand whisk, until free of lumps. If the soup is too thick add a little more stock until you have the desired consistancy.
- STEP 6Reheat when ready to serve and eat with a big hunk of crusty bread, delicious!