- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 1 hour chilling time
- Serves 4
- 1 kg. ripe & soft tomatoes, top of core removed but seeds left in
- 1 deseeded green pepper (preferably the long, thin Spanish pepper, not the capsicum/bell pepper type, although this will do fine too)
- half a medium onion
- a third of a long (UK) cucumber, peeled and seeds removed
- 1 clove of garlic
- 200 ml good virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar or sherry (Xerez) vinegar
- half tsp of ground cumin
- 2 level tsp of salt
FOR THE ACCOMPANIMENTS
- 3 hard-boiled and cooled eggs, yolk and white seperated and chopped small
- large handful of sultanas, soaked in olive oil
- Spanish Serrano ham or good ham, chopped small
- STEP 1Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and blend with a hand blender until smooth and completely homogenised.
- STEP 2Check for any unblended ingredients. Soup should be a pale red with flecks of red and green in it.
- STEP 3Chill in fridge for at least 1 hour
- STEP 4Place all accompaniments on a large plate, keeping them divided into seperate sections. Or use a sectioned snack server.
- STEP 5Divide the Salmorejo between four bowls and serve with the accompaniments and crusty bread