Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Healthier carrot cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 1 8" cake or small loaf
Lower sugar and high omega-3 version of the delicious coconut and carrot cake slices in BBC Good Food July 2009 by Jane Hornby https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11268/coconut-carrot-slices With thanks to Naomi Brook for suggestions and inspiration!
- 200 g rapeseed oil
- 100 g light muscovado sugar
- 200 g wholemeal self raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g of grated carrot or cooked beetroot
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- milled linseed and some seeds such as sunflower as topping
- STEP 1Oil and line 8” cake or loaf tin with silicone parchment or greaseproof paper. Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas 4
- STEP 2Gently warm the oil in a saucepan, cool for a few minutes and add the sugar, vanilla essence and eggs. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth then stir in the flour, 1/4 tsp salt then grated carrot or beetroot and mixed spice. Top with some milled linseed and seeds.
- STEP 3Bake for 30 mins until risen and allow to cool on a wire rack.