Glorious green vegan risotto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A fresh take on an indulgent favourite with plenty of vegetables to impress even the pickiest vegan
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- STEP 1Heat the stock in a pot over a medium heat. In a separate larger pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat before adding the onion. Cook until golden before adding the thyme, zucchini and garlic, stirring for 2 minutes.
- STEP 2Add the rice and stir everything together well before adding enough stock to cover the mixture. Stir the stock through until absorbed before adding more and repeating the process until all the stock is used. Test the rice to see if it is cooked by eating a small amount. If it is still crunchy, add some more water and leave to absorb until cooked.
- STEP 3To finish, stir through the lemon juice, half the lemon zest, the peas and the spinach. Season to taste and serve with a sprinkling of fresh thyme and lemon zest.