Dairy Free Peach Melba Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 12
This is basically an fatless sponge with some dairy free cream cheese icing (I used the koko vegan cream cheese).
- 5oz self raising flour
- 6oz sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1oz ground almonds
- 1 punnet raspberries
- 150g cream cheese alternative
- 140g icing sugar
- 30ml coconut milk (I used alpro)
- 1 tin peaches (in juice)
- 2 generous tablespoons of raspberry jam
- STEP 1Whisk eggs and sugar until beaters leave trails in the mix (when you lift it over itself it leaves a mound), it should be at least double its original volume.
- STEP 2Mix flour and almonds together and fold in to whisked eggs and sugar mix (being careful not to knock out too much air, I would recommend a silicon spatula for this!)
- STEP 3Pour mix into two 20cm cake tins and cook at 160C for 25-30 minutes. Then leave to cool.
- STEP 4Then to make the icing whisk the dairy free cream cheese in a bowl until creamy and smooth. Then add the sieved icing sugar and coconut milk and whisk again until smooth place in the fridge to set.
- STEP 5Turn out the cakes. Place one on a plate bottom side up then ice it with jam and place on a layer of thinly (but not too thinly!) chopped peaches and raspberries (about 5mm thick), then fill in the gaps with half the cream cheese icing.
- STEP 6Place the other cake on top and ice with the remainder of the cream cheese icing, then top with sliced peaches and whole raspberries.