Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 12
Simple coffee cake, a delicious classic in any home!
- 6oz butter
- 6oz sugar
- 6oz self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4tsp decafinated coffee powder
- 75g butter
- 150g icing sugar (plus some more for the icing on top)
- Chocolate buttons (to decorate)
- STEP 1Set oven to 160C and grease two 20cm cake tins. Mix together 2 tsp of the coffee powder with 3 tblsp hot water and mix until all of the coffee powder has dissolved.
- STEP 2Add the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs and butter and beat with an electric mixer.
- STEP 3Split mixture equally between the two cake tins and cook for 30 minutes, then leave to cool.
- STEP 4When cool take out of the tins and set aside.
- STEP 5Mix together 2tsp of coffee powder with 3 tblsp hot water and set aside.
- STEP 6Mix together 75g butter and 150g icing sugar and add one and half tsps of the coffee mix then beat with an electric mixer and sandwich together the two cakes with the butter icing.
- STEP 7Then measure out some icing sugar and mix in the coffee until it is spreadable and spread over the top of the cake then dot the edge with chocolate buttons (optional).