Member recipe by maddyofficial1
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Pie
A warm apple pie that most people can make (coming from a ten year old!), but can fail! Note: I have completely copied this from another website (with some changes)
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢14 oz/400g all purpose/plain flour
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢pinch of salt
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢1 stick/ 110g butter, cubed or an equal mix of butter and lard
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢2-3 tbsp cold water
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢1 ÃÂ½ lbs/700g cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢2 tbsp lemon juice
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢ÃÂ½ cup/ 100g sugar
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢4 - 6 tbsp cold water
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢ÃÂ¼ stick/25g butter
- Ã¢ÂÂ¢Milk to glaze
- Place the flour, butter and salt into a large clean bowl. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, working as quickly as possible to prevent the dough becoming warm.
- Add the water to the mixture and using a cold knife stir until the dough binds together, add more cold water a teaspoon at a time if the mixture is too dry
- Wrap the dough in Saran wrap/Clingfilm and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes.
- The dough can also be made in a food processor by mixing the flour, butter and salt in the bowl of the processor on a pulse setting. When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add the water, slowly, through the funnel until the dough comes together in a ball. Wrap in Saran wrap/ Clingfilm and chill as above. Then heat the oven to 425ÃÂ°F/220ÃÂ°C/gas 7.
- Meanwhile simmer the apples with the lemon juice and water in a large pan until soft. Add the sugar and cinnamon to the cooked apples. Remove from the heat and add the butter and leave to cool.
- Roll out half the pastry and line a 7 inch/13cm pie dish. Put the cooled, cooked apple mixture into the pastry case
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid for the pie. Damp the edges of the pastry in the dish with a little cold water, cover with the lid and press the edges firmly together and crimp the edges to decorate.
- Brush the top of the pie with milk and bake at the top of a hot oven for 20 - 25 minutes
- Serve hot or cold with cream, ice cream or custard sauce