Chicken Sweet & Sour
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Sweet and sour chicken with noodles
- 4 chicken breasts (skinless and cut into small pieces)
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion (cut into chunks)
- 1 red pepper (cut into chunks)
- 2 large carrots (cut into matchsticks)
- 227g can pineapple pieces (juice reserved)
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 garlic cloves (grated)
- 1 level tsp cornflour
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 chilli
- STEP 1Heat a wok or large frying pan tohot. Spray the chicken pieces with low-calorie cooking spray and season well. Stir-fry for 5-6 minutes then transfer to a plate and set aside
- STEP 2Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper, re-spray with low-calorie cooking spray and place over high heat. Stir-fry the onion, pepper, carrots and sugar snap peas for 5 minutes. Return chicken to the pan and cook for additional 3-4 minutes.
- STEP 3In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice with the five-spice, garlic, cornflour, tomato puree, vinegar, soy sauce and chicken stock. Add the mixture to the pan and cook for 5 minutes over a low heat until thickened.
- STEP 4Cook the noodles then drain. Remove the chicken from the heat and stir through the pineapple chunks. Divide between the bowls and flake over the chopped chilli.