Chinese Spicy Stir Fry Chicken with Broccoli
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
This is a spicy Chinese style chicken dish with a twist as boneless chicken thighs are used instead of chicken breasts.
- 4 pieces of boneless chicken thighs
- 1 broccoli
- 1 brown onion
- 1 medium size tomato
- 2 spring onions
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger root (as big as half of your thumb)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsps of olive oil
- 1 tsb of ground pepper
- 2 pieces of aniseed
- 2 small dried red chillies
- 4 tbsps of Chinese yellow cooking wine
- 2 tbsps of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 heaped tbsp of spicy bean paste
- 1 Knorr chicken stock pot
- Salt according to personal preference
- 1 heaped tbsp of cornstarch
- STEP 1Dice the boneless chicken tights into 2cm x 2cm cubes, then marinate them with 2 tbsps of light soy sauce and 2 tbsps of Chinese yellow cooking wine, set aside.
- STEP 2Cut the stem off the broccoli then break the florets into small pieces slightly bigger then the diced chicken thights. Chop the brown onion and tomato into the similar size as the diced chicken thighs. Finely chop the garlic, ginger and spring onions. Separate the green part of the finely chopped spring onions for garnish later.
- STEP 3Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in the wok, then stir fry the diced chicken thighs on high heat for 2-3 mins until gold and brown. Take out the chicken and drain the oil, then set aside.
- STEP 4Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in the wok on medium heat, then stir fry the finely chopped spring onion (white part only), ginger, garlic for 1 min, then add in aniseed, ground pepper, and dry chillies (break into half), stir fry for further 1-2 mins until you can smell the fragrance.
- STEP 5Add in chopped brown onion and tomato, stir fry for 1 min, then add in 2 tbsps of Chinese yellow cooking wine, stir fry for further 3 mins until soften.
- STEP 6Add in the browned chicken, stir fry for 1 min, then add in 1 heaped tbsp of spicy bean paste, stir fry for further 2 mins. Add in boiling water just enough to cover the chicken, then add in the Knorr chicken stock pot, mix it in well. Turn the heat to low and continue to boil the chicken for 3 mins. Then add in the broccoli and dark soy sauce, continue to boil on high heat for further 6 mins until the broccoli is tender but is still bright green. Be careful not to over cook the broccoli.
- STEP 7Mix the cornstarch with 5 tbsps of cold water, then add it into the wok. Turn down the heat and stir for 1 min until the sauce is thick and smooth, add salt according to your personal preference. Put it into serving dish and sprinkle the finely chopped green spring onion on top of the dish as garnish, then ready to serve with rice.