Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Beef casserole and dumplings
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
This is a very easy casserole dish - my children would eat it every day if they could!
- 4 tbsp oil
- 4 potatoes cubed
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 leek
- 2 stalks celery finely sliced
- 75g mushrooms
- 500-700g beef
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 pint beef stock
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100 mls red wine
- Dash of Worcester sauce
- 1 bulb garlic
- Dumplings -
- 250g self-raising flour
- 125g really cold butter
- 1tsp mixed herbs
- salt and black pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- STEP 1Heat 2 tbspoons of oil in a large pan.
- STEP 2Add potatoes, carrots, onion, leek and celery and heat gently without browning for 5-10 miNs
- STEP 3Add mushrooms, stir for 2 mins then add to casserole pot or crock pot.
- STEP 4Heat the remaing 2 tb spoons of oil and brown the beef - in batches if necessary.
- STEP 5Add the flour and mix
- STEP 6Add the beef stock, tomatoes, red wine and Worcester sauce.
- STEP 7Season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil, reduce heat and add to pot.
- STEP 8Add bouquet garni and whole garlic bulb to pot. Stir well.
- STEP 9Oven - 160c for 2.5 - 3 hours
- STEP 10Slow cooker - high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10hrs (depending on your slow cooker!)
- STEP 11When cooked remove bouquet garni and garlic bulb.
- STEP 12For the dumpling -
- STEP 13Turn oven up to oven to 190degrees C or gas 5
- STEP 14Put your flour into a mixing bowl
- STEP 15Using a coarse grater, grate very cold butter into the flour
- STEP 16Add herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper
- STEP 17Using your fingers, gently rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
- STEP 18Add a some cold water to help bind it
- STEP 19Divide the dough into 12 balls. The dumplings will suck up quite a bit of moisture so if your stew looks dry - add a cup of boiling water and give it a good stir.
- STEP 20brush dumplings with beaten egg to glaze
- STEP 21Place the dumplings on top of your fully cooked stew.
- STEP 22Cook in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.