Lou's Pea and ham soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
A great soup to warm you up and fill your belly on cold winter days!
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 4 rashers/125g bacon chopped
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 600ml/1pt vegetable or chicken stock
- 300ml/1/2pt milk
- 500g peas, frozen or fresh
- 4 slices/125g cooked ham cut into small pieces
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Gently fry the onions, garlic and bacon over a low heat for about 10 mins until the onions are soft and the bacon is browned.
- STEP 2Add the potatoes and stock to the pan, bring to the boil, turn down heat and simmer for about 10 mins until potatoes are cooked.
- STEP 3Pour in milk and tip peas into pan, simmer for a further few mins until peas are done. remove from heat.
- STEP 4Add chopped ham to the pan, then blend until smooth.
- STEP 5season with salt, pepper and a little sugar if needed.
- STEP 6Serve with big wedges of homemade crusty bread.