Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
Soft tortillas stuffed with homemade refried beans, eggs, green chilies, tomatoes, cheese and diced avocados.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 can (15-ounces) dark red kidney beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1/2- teaspoon ground cumin , or to taste
- 1/4- teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- 1/2- teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 8 eggs
- 8 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 can (10-ounces) Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-Blend Cheese
- 1 avocado , diced
- fresh lime juice
- fresh parsley or fresh cilantro , chopped, for garnish
- STEP 1In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- STEP 2Add diced onions and season with salt; cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- STEP 3Add minced garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- STEP 4Stir in beans; season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper
- STEP 5Continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beans have softened.
- STEP 6Remove from heat, and using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash the beans until they resemble chunky mashed potatoes. Set aside. Or If you want smoother beans, return to heat and add 1/4-cup water; simmer until beans are thick and of spreading consistency. Set aside.
- STEP 7In a large skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat.
- STEP 8Break eggs and gently slide into skillet, one at a time. (In my skillet, I can fit about 4 eggs at a time.)
- STEP 9Reduce heat to low and cook slowly until whites are completely firm and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- STEP 10Carefully slide a spatula under each egg and flip; Cook until desired doneness. Add more olive oil as needed.
- STEP 11ASSEMBLE 1.Evenly divide and spread prepared beans on warmed tortillas and top with cooked eggs. 2.Add diced tomatoes & green chilies over the eggs. 3.Sprinkle with cheese. 4.Add diced avocados and squeeze fresh lemon juice over each prepared taco. 5.Garnish with parsley or cilantro.