Vietnamese fresh paper rolls
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 10 min preparation time
- Serves 6
simple to make and very delicious!
For the rolls:
- 18 sheets of 22cm rice paper
- 80g of rice vermicelli
- 18 cooked prawns (or you can replace with cooked pork, chicken, or leave the meat out if you are vegetarian)
- 2 cups of shredded lettuce
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 bunch perilla leaves (optional)
- There are 2 sauces that go well with this dish. My favourite is the hoisin.
- 3 tbsp of hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of roasted chopped nuts sprinkled on top
- pinch of chopped fresh chillis (optional)
Dipping Fish Sauce:
- 2 tbsp of nuoc mam fish sauce
2 tbsp of water (or 3 for a less stronger taste)
- 1 tbsp of dissolved sugar
- 1 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
- a dash of lime juice
- (adjust the amount of water to adjust the strength of the taste/smell)
- STEP 1Firstly prepare the sauce. Simply mix the ingredients together and put into a small bowl. Keep it refridgerated until ready to serve.
- STEP 2Put the noodles into boiling water for 5 min. strain and rinse them with cool water, then leave them to dry.
- STEP 3Prepare the prawns by deveining and slicing them in half along the back. Prepare the rest of the ingredients and place the shredded lettuce, grated carrot, mint leaves, coriander sprigs, halved prawns in front of you. The noodles should have dried by now so place them on the table too. You will need some space to roll them up.
- STEP 4Put some hot water into a large bowl, take a sheet of rice paper and dip the sheet into the water. This should soak it a bit to make it soft. Put the soft paper roll in front of you.
- STEP 5Place 2 half prawns horizontally and faced down, about 2/3rds down the sheet. The filling should be aligned in the centre of the roll about 3/4 down (about 4 cm from the bottom).
- STEP 6Top with some lettuce, grated carrot, a bit of vermicelli noodles, a sprig of coriander, and 3 mint leaves placed horizontally. Make sure you dont put too much filling or it will break the roll. The roll should be about 2inches in diameter.
- STEP 7To form the roll, fold the sides into the centre over the filling. Then fold the bottom of the paper over and start rolling bottom to top. Tuck the filling under whilst rolling and form a tight roll.
- STEP 8Serve 2 rolls per person with the sauce of your choice.