Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
San Choy Bao
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 10 min
- Serves 4
My version of san choy bao
- 500 g lean pork mince
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced or finely diced)
- 1/2 red birds eye chilli (chopped, optional)
Peanut or canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup dried shitake mushrooms (diced)
- 150 g water chestnuts (diced)
- 3 shallots (sliced)
- 2 sprigs of coriander (chopped)
- 1/4 cup firm tofu (diced, optional)
- 10 iceberg lettuce cups
- 1.5 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp chinese cooking wine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp five spice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp of cornflour in water to thicken (make about 50ml)
- coriander leaves (chopped)
- sesame seeds or chopped peanuts
- lime (optional)
- STEP 1Soak the shitake mushrooms in warm water for 10min or until soft. Keep the mushroom water for the cornflour mix.
- STEP 2Combine all the sauce ingredients except the cornflour. Adjust to your liking.
- STEP 3Heat the oil in a wok, add garlic and chilli. Fry for 1 minute. Add the pork mince and fry until slightly browned.
- STEP 4Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts, shallots and fry for 1-2 min.
- STEP 5Add the coriander and tofu
- STEP 6Add the sauce, then add the cornflour mix to thicken.
- STEP 7spoon into the lettuce leaves
- STEP 8traditional garnish - just add coriander and sesame seeds, or
- STEP 9untraditional - try chopped peanuts, coriander, and a dash of lime!