Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Lentil, Kale & Quinoa Stew (Vegan)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A hearty (and affordable!) vegan stew that's perfect for a packed lunch or weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- • 1 yellow onion
- • 3 carrots
- • 3 celery stalks
- • 4 cloves garlic
- • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- • 2 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- • 1 cup red lentils
- • 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- • 5 cups water
- • 26.5 oz box of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped kale
- STEP 1Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat
- STEP 2sauté the onions, carrots, and celery until tender, about 8 minutes.
- STEP 3Add in the minced garlic and sauté another minute, just until fragrant.
- STEP 4Add in the cumin, ginger, turmeric, salt, lentils, quinoa, water, and tomatoes and bring the soup to a boil.
- STEP 5Once boiling, lower the heat and cover the pot to let everything simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- STEP 6Once the lentils and vegetables are very tender, stir in the chopped kale and cook until it's wilted, just a few minutes.
- STEP 7Season with additional salt, if desired, (I added a 1/2 teaspoon myself) and serve warm.