Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Orzo Cooked In Chicken Stock With Pancetta, Peas & Parmesan
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A Quick & Easy Family Feast For The Middle Of The Week! On The Table in Under 30 Minutes.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 150g Pancetta, chopped
- 1 Red Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 500g Orzo
- 1 Litre of Hot Chicken Stock
- 500g Petis Pois (fresh or frozen)
- Zest & Juice of Half a Lemon
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- 1 Small Bunch of Basil, leaves picked
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan. Add the pancetta and fry on a medium heat until nice and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon & set aside.
- STEP 2Lower the heat and add the onion and a pinch of salt to the pan. (It will take on the flavour from the pancetta). Sweat the onion, for about 5 minutes. Now add the garlic and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- STEP 3Time to turn up the heat and add the orzo. Fry for a few minutes, but make sure you keep stirring as it may start to stick to the pan. Add half of the stock and bring to a simmer. (Keep stirring all the while) You can keep topping up with the remaining stock as the orzo absorbs it, in the same way you would cook a risotto.
- STEP 4After about 5 minutes, stir in the peas and bring the mixture back to a simmering point. Again, keep topping up with the stock until the orzo is cooked through. (About 10 minutes in total) You are looking for a slippery, oozy consistency.
- STEP 5Now its time to add the lemon zest and juice, check the seasoning and stir in the basil, parmesan and crispy pancetta. Now put the lid on and just let it sit for 2 minutes. This is when the magic happens and all of the flavours come together! Be patient, it's well worth the wait!