Infused Bay Oil
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Litre
A recipe for making your own bay leaf oil that is great for use in the kitchen and for herbal medicinal purposes
- 200 grams of Fresh bay leaves
- 1 litre of olive oil (preferabley first cold press)
- STEP 1Wash and dry all the leaves carefully.
- STEP 2Put half of the bay leaves and all the oil in a container with a tight lid. (I use glass jars that are hermetically closed with a rubber seals.
- STEP 3Put the container in a pan, and fill the pan up to 2cm from the top of the jar/container
- STEP 4Bring to the boil and simmer slowly for 2 hours. Allow to cool slightly and strain. Discard the used bay leaves
- STEP 5Refill the container with the fresh bay leaves, cover with the strained oil, replace the lid tightly and return to the bain marie. Top up the water as necessary. Simmer gently for another 2 hours.
- STEP 6Cool slightly, and pour through a strainer (Any watery green liquid at the bottom of the oil must be separated and discarded, or it will spoil the oil).
- STEP 7Then pour the oil into clean bottles or jars(make sure they are sterilised), and label and date them. Store in a cool, dark place and it will keep for a year.