Best Burger Cottage Pie with Cheesy Mash Topping
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Use up those leftover summer barbeque burgers that are still lurking in the freezer.
- 8 burgers (I used mix of chilli/cheese burgers and steak burgers)
- 1/2 cup of water approx
- Thickening powder (I like McDougals thickening granules)
- 4/5 medium potatoes
- Large knob of butter
- Grated cheddar cheese
- STEP 1Defrost the burgers if frozen and break up over a medium heat in a pan until mixture resembles minced meat.
- STEP 2Loosen up the meat mixtures with the water (don't make it too runny).
- STEP 3Whilst burgers are cooking peel cut the potatoes in chunks and boil for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- STEP 4Sprinkle the burger mixture with the thickening granules until mixture thickens slightly and put into an ovenproof dish.
- STEP 5Mash the potatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste then add the knob of butter and 1-2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- STEP 6Put the mashed potatoes on top of the burger mixture and sprinkle with a little more grated cheese.
- STEP 7Bake in the oven at 180 degs (fan oven) for about 20 mins or until golden. Nice served with a green vegetable and carrots.