Green Tomato and Country Ham Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 6 - 8 servings
This is an American recipe for green tomato use. As an American I have had to English up the measurements so if they seem too much please feel free to 'fix' them. My number one rule about food is "Play with it, experiment with the spices and amounts. Find what works for you and go with it."
- 5 - 6 medium/large tomatoes, diced
- 2 large thick cut slices of ham, diced (do not soak)
- 2000 ml of chicken broth
- 1 large onion, red or yellow, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 sprigs worth of rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 6 - 7 leaves of thyme, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 leaves of sage, finely chopped
- 4 - 5 black pepper corns, finely ground
- 1 pat of butter
- STEP 1Sweat onions in butter in the bottom of a large pot (I use cast iron dutch oven but any type will work).
- STEP 2Just before the onions turn translucent add spices then add tomatoes and ham.
- STEP 3Add broth and simmer for 45 min to an hour. Serve hot with slices of well aged cheddar cheese and enjoy.