Green Tomato and Country Ham Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 5 - 6 medium/large tomatoes, diced
- 2 large thick cut slices of ham, diced (do not soak)
- 2000 ml of chicken broth
- 1 large onion, red or yellow, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 sprigs worth of rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 6 - 7 leaves of thyme, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 leaves of sage, finely chopped
- 4 - 5 black pepper corns, finely ground
- 1 pat of butter
- STEP 1Sweat onions in butter in the bottom of a large pot (I use cast iron dutch oven but any type will work).
- STEP 2Just before the onions turn translucent add spices then add tomatoes and ham.
- STEP 3Add broth and simmer for 45 min to an hour. Serve hot with slices of well aged cheddar cheese and enjoy.