Member recipe by kerryburnett
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 700g lamb, chopped
- 1 aubergine (optional), salted then washed
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- juice of one lemon
- 200ml red wine
- half a pint of lamb or chicken stock
- 4-5 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp rosemary (fresh)
- 1 tbsp thyme (fresh)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
- Puff pastry (optional) and beaten egg for brushing
- Feta cheese (optional)
- Fry off the onion and the garlic for a few minutes then add the lamb. Cook until almost browned. Add the aubergine and cook for a few minutes.
- Add all other ingredients apart from puff pastry and feta and stir well. Cover and cook over a low heat for one and a half hours.
- Remove from heat. The casserole can be served now or put into pie dishes, with a little feta cheese if you like, and topped with puff pastry. Brush with a beaten egg and cook until pastry is golden.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and veg or a Greek salad.