Super Yummy Veggie Bean Chilli - 99% Vegan
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook time can vary.
- Serves 8
A large bulk recipie for a super yummy veggie chilli. And apart from a squirt of honey; this recipe is completely vegan! This recipe is lovely reheated and also freezes great!
- 4 Small Red Onions - Finely Chopped
- 3 Peppers ( Assorted Colours) - Finely Chopped
- 300g (roughly) Plum Tomatoes - Whole
- 300g ( roughly) Mushrooms - Halved
- 3x 400g tins of beans ( I used Aduki, Cannellini and Kidney Beans)
- 400g tin of Green Lentils
- 3 Red Chillis - Finely Chopped
- 200g Buckwheat
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- 2x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic - Finely Chopped
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 2tbsp honey
- large handful of thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2tbsp of flaxseed (optional extra)
- STEP 1Start by heating 2tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan. Chop the onions and fry for about 5 minutes till they start becoming soft. Then add the chopped peppers and gently fry for about 10 minutes until softened.
- STEP 2Add the plum tomatoes whole along with the mushrooms, chills ( I also used the seeds and I like my chilli really spicy!) and garlic. Cook until some of the tomatoes start bursting.
- STEP 3Add the chopped tomatoes, drained beans, lentils, tomato puree and honey and cook on medium heat for another 10 minutes. Then add the stock, thyme sprigs and salt/pepper and simmer for 10 minutes (Stir frequently). (Also taste at this point and add chilli flakes if you wish for a spicier chili)
- STEP 4Now add the buckwheat and flaxseed and keep on a gentle simmer whilst sitirng frequently until the chilli reduces and thickens. For a better flavour, I keep on a gentle heat for about an hour, mixing and tasting frequently to my tasting.
- STEP 5When ready to serve, reheat and enjoy! This chilli is very thick and bulky and goes great with rice. But also goes lovely alongside broccoli and spinach.