Quick Porridge How-ya-like-it
Member recipe by anfy1974
- This is a rough and ready breakfast treat that we love in our house. Making use of any fruit you happen to have and is less expensive than using the popular sachets of porridge from the supermarket. There is no need for sugar as the fruit will sweeten.
- Handful of Fruit - Such as a banana, peeled apple, strawberries etc.
- 30g/ (1/4 cup) - Porridge/Rolled Oats (I found a perfect scoop that I leave in the box)
- 125ml - Milk (your favorite)
- Rinse and chop your fruit to a uniform size unless you're using something like blueberries.
- Place these in a microwaveable bowl (I use a standard cereal bowl). Microwave for 90 seconds on full power until the fruit is cooked through and the sugars/juices released
- Sprinkle the Oats over the fruit followed by enough of the milk to fill the bowl level with the oats.
- Microwave for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to cool.
- Dependent on the oats the result can be anything from a crumble effect (which I love) to something more fluid. You should adjust the volume of milk dependent on the amount of fluid generated by the cooking of the fruit.
- Bananas are great in this as are apples with a sprinkle of cinnamon