Sweet potato falafel
Member recipe by katiededman
- 4 large sweet potatoes (the larger the better!)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed/finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped OR dried coriander
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- salt & pepper to season
- NOTE: the measurements of the herbs, spices and flour are approximate and can be amended to taste. The flour adds texture, so more or less may be required.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven at 200C for about 1-1 1/2 hours until soft to the touch.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop the cooked potato into a bowl. (The skin should peel off easily) Mash the potato and leave to cool if possible. (Not necessary, just makes shaping the falafel easier)
- Add the garlic, onion, cumin, both coriander and the flour and mix well. Season to taste. At this point you may with to add more of the spices to taste.
- Shape into as small balls about the size of a golf ball, or a little bigger and place on greased backing tray.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes at 200C until slightly crispy on the outside. Serve in pittas/flatbreads with some houmous, sliced cucumber and hot pepper sauce.