Chocolate sheet cake
Member recipe by katie1986
Baking for a crowd is easy with this fluffy,yummy sponge cake.Its baked in a large roasting tin and makes 20 pieces.
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 275g (10oz) self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 225 (8oz) soft-tub margerine
- 225(8oz) caster sugar
- 6 tbsp semi skimmed milk
- For the icing:
- 150g (5oz) plain or milk chocolate, broken into squares
- 350g (12oz) icing sugar
- 1 tsp veg oil
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f/gas 4. Grease a 30 by 20 roasting tin.Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Sift the flour and cocoa into a seperate bowl. Add egg yolks,marg,caster sugar and milk. Beat with a electric whisk or wooden spoon for 2 mins, until smooth.
- Fold in the egg whites.Spoon the mixture into the tin. Bake for 35-40 mins, or until firm in the centre.Cool completely in the tin.
- For the icing, put the chocolate and 5 tbsp of water into a pan and heat gently until melted. Beat in the icing sugar and oil until smooth.
- Turn out cake and spread the icing on top with a palette knife. Cut into squares and enjoy!